Are you or your child in need of orthodontic treatment? Straightening the teeth and correcting bite issues is important for dental health and can be done via a few different treatment types. There are traditional braces and clear aligner systems, such as Invisalign.
Many patients prefer Invisalign for a variety of reasons, but for some, cost is a concern. How much does Invisalign cost and how does the cost compare to traditional braces? Here’s a general breakdown of the pricing of Invisalign treatment and the factors that affect what you’ll pay.
Average Price Range
Invisalign can cost a bit more than traditional braces on average, but not necessarily in all cases. Braces typically cost between $2,000 and $6,000, whereas Invisalign typically costs between $3,000 and $8,000. What you will actually pay within those price ranges depends on a few factors. Depending on your needs, you could end up paying about the same or even less for Invisalign.
Factors That Affect The Cost of Invisalign
The cost of Invisalign treatment (as well as braces) is determined by many different aspects, such as:
- Extent of Orthodontic Issues. Nearly everyone can benefit from some type of orthodontic treatment. It is very rare for someone’s teeth to come in perfectly straight with no bite misalignment. But every case is different. Some patients will need extensive orthodontic intervention to correct severe problems. Other patients may just need some average straightening of the teeth and bite. The more extensive the treatment you will require, the more expensive Invisalign will be.
- Length of Treatment. A related factor is the length of your Invisalign treatment. The more extensive corrections you require, the longer it may take to achieve the desired final result. Invisalign consists of a series of plastic aligners that are worn for designated periods of time until switching to the next. The longer your treatment will be, the more aligners will need to be made to shift your teeth into proper alignment, which drives up the cost of treatment.
- Dentist or Orthodontist. The Invisalign provider you choose will have an affect on the cost of treatment. Each dentist or orthodontist will set their own pricing for treatment and prices may vary between providers. One advantage to Invisalign is that it is available through some dental offices without requiring a referral to an orthodontist. By getting Invisalign through your dentist you can avoid the additional cost of going to a specialist for treatment. Invisalign is a computer based treatment that does not require the same level of expertise that braces require.
- Where You Live. Your geographical location plays a part in the cost of Invisalign as well. Areas with a higher cost of living, such as cities with higher populations, will tend to have higher prices for orthodontic treatment than smaller towns and rural areas. Dentists and orthodontists will set their pricing based on their own cost of operation and in order to stay competitive with other providers in the area.
Benefits of Invisalign
There are many other benefits to Invisalign treatment that may make the cost seem more worthwhile. Invisalign is:
- Less Noticeable. The biggest benefit of Invisalign is that the clear aligners are virtually invisible. They fit snugly against the teeth so that they are barely noticeable.
- Comfortable. The smooth, flexible plastic is comfortable against your teeth, gums, and tongue. No sores from sharp metal brackets.
- Convenient. The aligners are removable for eating, brushing, and flossing your teeth. No need to give up certain foods or thread your floss under the archwire between every tooth.
Emerson Dental Makes Invisalign Affordable
If you think Invisalign may be right for you or your child, don’t let the cost concern you. First, check with your dental insurance provider to find out if your plan includes orthodontic treatment. Most plans offer a lump sum toward the total cost of braces or Invisalign. If you don’t have insurance or if your insurance doesn’t cover enough of the cost, financing through CareCredit allows you to pay it gradually in affordable monthly payments.
Emerson Dental believes that no one should go without necessary orthodontic treatment because of the cost. We will be glad to discuss all possible payment options to make Invisalign affordable for you.